Peru

Peru
Machu Picchu

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Week 5 in CCM -- Ready to get to CUSCO!

[We aren't sure if this is the last email we will receive from Connor in CCM or not.  I think what happens is he leaves for Cusco next Tuesday (so before his pday on Wednesday in CCM) and arrives AFTER the pday in mission field (Monday).  So we might not hear from him until two Monday's from now.]

So this week has been really long for me because of the repetitive schedule, I am so ready -- and super excited -- to just have a different schedule every day in the mission field. I can't imagine trying to learn a language as hard as what Jake [friend of his who is learning to speak Estonian] has to do, but I think it will come (eventually).
One of the biggest things they talk to us about in the CCM is how the gift of tongues is not an easy thing, you must struggle and put forth effort to receive it. I cant say how many times they have talked about this, definitely in the last few weeks as people have been struggling with spanish.
Im pretty excited to get out into the field, I actually hope I have a North-American trainer who understands the struggle of learning spanish. If I am placed with a Latino trainer, I just hope he can be patient with me as I struggle with the language. One thing that is comforting to me is how kind all of the latinos in the CCM are. 
Im going to write more, just sending this one for now.

[We asked him what he had done on that pday since the Temple in Lima was still closed.]

Im sorry to say that I dont even have any pictures this week, we didnt have an exciting p-day and we are only allowed to take them on p day.
Im super excited to get out into the field and work and be able to take pictures whenever you want.
From what ive heard from a supervisor here at the CCM, Puno [one of the area's in his Cusco mission] is like 5 degrees right now, crazy!
Today we went to Papa Johns for pizza. Just our district decided to go there, all pitch in like 8-10 soles and buy some pizzas. It was really good. In the CCM, we hardly ever get any considerable amount of cheese.
Next, we went to the store where i bought one more soccer jersey. I have 3 soccer jerseys now, and thats like on the lower end of the spectrum compared to most people.

[I found this picture of the district @ pizza and Inca Kola from another Elder's blog.]




[We are sending him a package which will include a light weight coat, some more ties and some American candy / other stuff that is hard to get in Peru.]

This week, i have been feeling great. There are tons of sick people here though, I guess thats just what happens when you put tons of people in one place.
Im happy that mom found a light weight jacket, hopefully all goes well with the shipping.
Im super sick of the CCM food, but ive been talking to a supervisor here who i really like
He tells me the Peruvian food outside of the CCM is like 100x better than inside, thats good to know. I usually just give my rice away to someone else and eat the meat, im usually always full though.

[We asked him if he had used / tried the digital voice recorder we sent with him -- as frankly we were missing the sound of his voice!  We also asked him to just take a few pics while sitting in the computer room.]

I havent really tried using the voice recorder, because I actually dont know if sending voice recordings is allowed in the CCM. There are a lot of funky rules in the CCM that arent even close to the rules in the field. I will definitely put it to use though when we are in the field, or use it this week and send it when im in the field.


[We loved this picture!  Connor is looking good!  I don't really get why all the Elders love to do the hang loose sign -- but guess they just feel silly posing without flashing some sort of hand signal!]

This week, we watched a LIVE broadcast from Provo MTC. It was Elder Nelson talking. It was cool because this was the first live broadcast we have ever watched. It always like pans over people singing during it, and tons of people here see their friends from Utah. I didnt see jake or jeff though.
It was crazy to think that there were 8 other international MTCs watching the broadcast all singing "called to serve" at the same time. 

I cant even guess how many missionaries where watching that broadcast.
It was like Utah, Peru, New Zealand, Mexico and just tons of others, he rattled them off way too fast.
We watched another one that was earlier in the month on tuesday, it was by Elder Holland, i liked it a lot.



The Elder taking the picture is elder Noel. He is the zone leader from Utah and also in my room. He is elder williams and hafers companion. The sister is Hermana Eckman, shes from utah, i didnt even notice she was in it until just now hah.
That might be the case im not sure regarding the transfer [our question regarding whether or not we will hear from him next week]. They actually really keep us out in the dark on that, it makes a lot of elders frustrated.
i will use try to use the digital recorder
One thing that i am looking foward to is buying ties because i have been told there are some stores in cusco. The most exciting part of my dress is what shoes to wear and what tie to wear :P

[We asked him if he had met any more missionaries actually going to his mission -- Cusco -- vs. other missions in Peru.]

I have met a few -- but none are north american elders!  There are 2 latino elders, me, 4 north american hermanas and 4 latino hermanas, its a bit wierd to be the only north american elder!
Looks like im going to be the only north american elder incoming to cusco, but i bet that means theres going to be a big shipment of them either after me or sometime before me. Right now, theres a huge shipment of people going to Piura [which looks like a mission way up north in Peru] or however you say it. Like 1/2 of the elders are going there.

[Mom told him she loved the pictures and that he looked handsome!  She did ask (again) if/when he was going to get a haircut!]

We will be getting haircuts before we leave the CCM. Its a bit wierd and i dont feel like its too professional , but it works haha.
[We asked him how things were going overall and how his spanish was coming.  His honest answer is below!  I actually totally understand him and had a very hard time (and still do) with the "role playing" method of teaching something.  My brain just realizes that this is pretend and I can't seem to really master the teaching / exercise.  Looks like Connor is like his Dad in that regard!]

I only got 4 minutes left :/
Anyways, this week has actually been long for me. Its really hard for me to try to teach these fake investigators that they have in the little fake houses / teaching bungalows on campus, because they are actually just our teachers ;/
Im super excited to just get out in the field, because I know my spanish isnt great, but its just going to be such a unique experience.
I have not been called to give a talk yet in church, this sunday is the last chance I have.
We only had one opportunity to go out of the CCM for proselytizing sadly -- and that was last week.  I wish it was every week though, that was crazy fun.

[Picture of teaching bungalows]



Lately ive been praying a lot to just continue to have a desire to serve and a desire to read the Book of Mormon.
My goal was to actually finish the entire book in the CCM, but it seems like they hardly give us any free time
I am actually in like Alma 52 or something right now though and going strong, on like page 350 or something.
My favorite part was when Ammon sent an epistle to Ammaron, that was really cool haha.
Anyways, my time is up, im sure i will be able to write to you guys some time.
I miss you guys a lot, but its cool to see that I have so much support, i have gotten emails from every one of my friends.  Every week without fail Mitch has been emailing me.

1 comment:

  1. We're excited for the people of Cusco. Elder Barry will bring that part of the world His truth! Missionary on fire!
    We love you, Elder!

    ReplyDelete