Peru

Peru
Machu Picchu

Monday, April 3, 2017

Hi guys!  So I was on another computer originally, but it was SO slow!  It literally crashed every 10 seconds trying to upload pictures, so I had to change to a new computer.  The internet here is not what we are used to in the US!  Although where we are is supposed to be as fast as road runner evidently -- and have "Speedy 2 mb of velocity internet" as you can see in the picture LOL.
Speedy huh?


Anyways, this week was pretty good!  We are walking a ton, because we still don't really know the area that well and are meeting people and trying to find folks to teach.  We have a 10 year old girl as an investigator right now, her Mom is less active, and her Dad isn't a member (and doesn't want anything to do with us -- and is pretty funny how he goes to such lengths to avoid us!) but her grandparents are all super active.

She has a baptismal date for 15 of April, we are committed, but is a little rough because she isn't home that much, so we are trying hard to keep teaching her and helping with whatever we can.  

Today, we were played soccer with the zone, and my companions hand got kicked by another Elder!  He can't move his wrist right now and it is SUPER swollen.  We think it might be broken -- but we are going to the hospital later tonight.  



So that was a pretty awesome General Conference huh?  I cant believe it is the last one in my mission!


We did get to watch it in English.  We were upstairs in our church building with 4 other Americans in a small room.  It was pretty funny, everyone was teasing me because they all have over a year (or more) left in the mission.  When the picture of a guy at the temple getting married came up on the screen, they all started hollering my name...haha!

Here is a delicious video demonstrating the beautiful landscape of Juliaca, Peru.  We were out working one day and trying to find a house for 2 hours that we found in the old area book.


Here is another video of my companion with his pant leg up to his shin wet!  He wasn't looking where he was going and backed up looking at the house addresses and BOOM -- he sunk like a rook in a dirty sewage little hole in the road.  


It is VERY cold outside by like 5:00 PM and we are entering into the "frozen" time so the natives tell us!  Late April, all of May, and June are just way way way cold.

Is crazy that Elder Lara is only second English speaking companion.  We do like to talk English when we are together, but we do have to keep working on his Spanish.  He is definitely getting better.  But sometimes he gets a little flustered, and messes up even more. But is cool, because he just laughs at himself.  Was the same way I learned Spanish early on.  

I did get ONE of my packages (the first one you sent) and I also got new sheets from the zone leaders this time around.  I still have a package in the office then (the second one you sent with my Birthday stuff) and my companion has a package as well.  We told zone leader just to tell the office guy to send it, and we will pay for it, as it is seriously like 15 soles around there to send it. I really don't want to wait 6 more weeks till the next zone leader meeting.  But yeah in this package I did get all the goodies, snacks and the cream for my sunburns.  

We have been eating / sharing all my goodies a lot through the conference sessions.  So I was everyone's best friend for that day! :P

Well we should get going.  We have to get approval from mission office for my comp to go see a doctor.  He is not really in pain at the moment, but can't really use that arm!  He has had a pretty bad "series of unfortunate events" lately.  

I don't have any more photos, but will take some in the next week :P

Have a good week
Will have more news next week :P
Love you.
-Elder Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment